See ants in a whole new light. Beautifully photographed ants, beautiful music…
Video+timelapse by @anandavarma for @natgeo. This ant is infected with ophiocordyceps fungus. The beginning of the video shows the ant in its last hours of life, twitching under the control of the mind-controlling parasitic fungus.
Thank you to Colonial Pest Control for these – Fun Facts About Ants!
- Ants are strong little devils! As a matter of fact, they can carry 50 times their own body weight!
- There are over 10,000,000,000,000,000 ants on the earth right now.
- The world’s largest ant colony spans 600 miles and can be found in Southern California.
- The butt of an Australian green ant has a similar taste to lime.
- It is believed that ants have existed on this planet for 130 million years.
- The sting of a bullet ant is powerful enough to paralyse a tarantula.
- The world’s biggest ant is the bullet ant, which is found in the Panama jungle. These critters can grow up to 1.6 inches.
- The strongest ant is the leafcutter ant, which can lift 50 times its body weight.
- In tropical regions, ants make up 25% of the mass of all fauna.
- The average black garden ant has a lifespan longer than the average dog. (15 years).
Let’s welcome in 2017 with an ‘Ant Style’ Throwback Track from 1982! ADAM ANT in my house!
Watch these ants having a Christmas feast!
1. Why do ants come in the house?
In the spring, as things start to warm up, ant colonies send out “scouts” to forage for food and fuel. [more]
2. Do ants hibernate?
So generally, ants hibernate during the winter, moving deep underground, grouping together, and generally limiting activity to conserve energy. [more]
3. How big is the biggest ant?
5-6 centimeters = over 2 inches. [more]
4. Do ants stretch when they wake up?
When ants wake up they stretch out all 6 of their legs and then open their mandibles as if they are yawning. [more]
5. How does Borax kill ants?
When the ants actually start to eat the Borax, boric acid causes them to get really gassy (gas builds up inside their bodies). Ants don’t get rid of gas like we do, so they eventually die because they can’t expel the gas. [more]
6. Where do ants come from?
Most common ants live outside in the ground, in nests or ant hills. Several hills and nests can make up one colony. [more]
7. What is an Ants life cycle?
The ant life cycle has five stages… [more]
8. When do ants wake up from hibernation?
As it starts to warm up in the Spring (or even late winter) ants will start to become more active in their nests. Some will even venture out onto the snow if it’s sunny enough. [more]
9. Was Ant-Man a good movie?
Just the number one movie in the WORLD!! [more]
10.Do ants poop?
Ants are a part of life no matter where you live. They can range from simple nuisance ants that invade your kitchen, to carpenter ants that can cause major damage to your house, or even painful stinging swarms of fire ants.
With over 1,000 different species of ants in North America, there is no “one solution” to rid your house of them.
Check out the graphics below and the complete article from fix.com right here!
Source: Fix.com Blog